Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Excerpt from a short story: The Sun Is Gone

I did not want to leave you.

            I still love you. The problem and solution extended far beyond anything that had to do with us. But you are the sturdy rock that lies beneath the ground. The foundation for soil and nutrients and growth. I am a cloud. I am far up in the sky, from a distance appearing solidified, but just an illusion. A collection of water vapor.
            Tell my family hello, or do not; whichever will hurt them less. You can show them this letter if you wish, but I know you will understand it best. Understand it like that time on the beach when we were playing with the smooth white stone talking about our academic abilities and I went on a rant about not wanting to be a person of habit. You understood me then. You could probably still understand me now. Even though you did not want me to go, understand I did not go away from you.
           
            I do not know where I am going, but I am at home not knowing.
           
            The sun is going down here now and I would like to go watch it until it gets dark. I think that sunsets are overrated for their present state. What they bring with them in their transition, a black canvas with burning candles of light, is the true miracle. I saw an art exhibit once and it said:



THE SUN IS GONE BUT WE STILL HAVE THE LIGHT.


-N.X. Blume

No comments:

Post a Comment